Happy New Year, everyone! I don’t know where the last year went but it’s officially 2018 and I’m considering that a fresh start. Last year had plenty of ups and downs, and I’m excited to see where the new year takes me!
With 2018 comes some obvious (and not-so-obvious) changes to the blog. If you’ve visited in the past, you’ve probably noticed the new theme! I’m actually working on a blog post about blog themes that will go up sometime this month but in short, I needed a change. . . again. It’s hard to stay satisfied when you keep finding “better” ways to do things. But I hope y’all like it and find it easy to navigate since you’re more likely to look at it than I am (as I sit here behind the scenes in my post editor).
I also decided it’s time to cut back on the million and a half things that used to be on this blog. Maintaining everything was not only a lot of work but I wasn’t enjoying it anymore and I want to re-discover my love of book blogging this year.
- Book reviews. I considered taking these off and just reviewing on Goodreads and retail sites but there’s no reason not to post them here so they’ll be sticking around per usual.
- Discussions. I’m actually hoping to post MORE of these (*gasp* I know) so stay tuned! I even signed up for a blog challenge to help motivate me.
- Author interviews. Pretty self explanatory.
- Guest posts. Same deal, y’all.
- Quest to Authordom. This author-specific guest post feature is staying on but posts will depend on interest!
- Pre-order incentives! This page will keep on rolling so don’t forget to submit pre-order incentives when you hear about them!
- SOME of the Review Policy. I’ll still be keeping some of the info on the review policy up but this blog will no longer be taking review requests on the front end of the blog. Most of last year I spent working with established connections in the book community and will continue to do so, but I won’t be taking on requests from independent or small pubbed authors. This may change down the road but right now I can’t add more to my already overflowing plate.
- Beat the Backlist. Oh goodness there are a LOT of changes with this challenge. It was just too ambitious this past year for everything I tried to do and I just can’t keep up with it so taking away a lot and just going back to the basics.
- Numbered editions (Caraval, Nevernight, Godsgrave). They were fun to look at and all but they really weren’t going anywhere and just took up space. The idea this year is to keep things simpler so they’re gone.
- An ENTIRE menu! You may have noticed its absence already but an entire menu in the header has disappeared! Broke things down and only listed the stuff that y’all seem to enjoy so sticking to one menu for the new year.
- Dear Teen Me blog series. I am SO excited to share this blog series with y’all! Throughout 2018, I’ll be talking about things I wish I could tell my teen book blogging self — tips, tricks, advice, etc. I want to use this year as a reflection on the past 7 years of blogging.
- New theme! But you already got that 😉
- State of the ARC monthly meme. I wanted to get back into blog memes but not the ones I used to do because they just felt. . . not dull, exactly, but more a chore than something I enjoyed posting. But I found this monthly blog meme and it sounded like a lot of fun so I’ll be participating this year!