Welcome to one of the final stops on the Midnight Jewel blog tour! I decided to try something a bit different than my usual posts this time around so keep reading for more on that and make sure to check out the giveaway below!
I’ve never tried to summarize a book using quotes from the book. At least, that was my original plan with this. But as I started collecting quotes (while also trying to desperately avoid spoilers, mind you) I realized that all the ones I picked could be put into one of 3 categories. A bit different than planned but… I don’t know, I kind of like it. And I hope you do too!
(I’ve bolded my personal favorites from this bunch and would love to hear which ones y’all liked in the comments!)
*Please note that these quotes appeared in an uncorrected advanced reader copy and may not appear as displayed here in the final version.
Midnight Jewel by Richelle MeadThe Glittering Court #2
Published on June 27, 2017 by Razorbill
Genres: Fantasy, Young Adult
In MIDNIGHT JEWEL, Richelle Mead goes beyond the glitz and glamour of the Glittering Court, delving into the dark, political underbelly of Cape Triumph through the eyes of one girl who dares to fight for her freedom.
A refugee of war, Mira was cast out of her home country and thrust into another, where the conditions were inhospitable at best. In a life-altering twist of fate, she is given the chance to escape once more, and she takes it, joining the Glittering Court.
Both a school and a business venture, the Glittering Court is designed to transform impoverished girls into upper-class ladies who appear destined for powerful and wealthy marriages in the New World. There, Mira finds herself subjected to persecution, not only from her fellow Glittering Court jewels, but from her suitors, as well—men she would potentially be expected to give her life to.
By day, she goes through the motions, learning the etiquette and customs that will help to earn her anonymity, even making a couple true friends in the process, the forthright ladies’ maid Adelaide and the ambitious laundress Tamsin. But by night, Mira hatches a different plan entirely—one that, if exposed, could get her hanged in the highest court of Adoria.
MIDNIGHT JEWEL is the extraordinary story of a girl with few options who courageously forges a new path, finding love, passion, lifelong friendships, and maybe even a way to freedom.
Book Depository Amazon Barnes & Noble
The fierce Mirabel Viana will stop at nothing to achieve her goal and really represented what I think a strong heroine is.
- I wanted a life far away from the war and corruption that had engulfed the country of my birth.
- “If not, I’ll just deal with it. That’s being realistic.”
- “…you strike me as a woman who’s going to want to go a lot of places that other people say you can’t.”
- “Subterfuge, gathering information, and all that?… I’m the one you want.”
- …I really was out for justice, not just profit.
- “No matter the profit at stake, I always look out for my own.”
- My steps felt light, and the stars above me seemed to burn more brightly than ever, with Ariniel’s star the most radiant of them all.
Midnight Jewel has plenty of um… important, we’ll say… advice to share with the world. Perhaps you’ll find some of it useful!
- Information is real power.
- Avoid a fight if you can…And if you can’t, then you put everything you’ve got into it.
- You have to learn to make tough choices.
- People complicate things. They can be dangerous if you get attached to them.
- “You stay cool. You don’t lose your head. And you know what? You should probably keep doing that—because then you won’t lose your heart either.”
- “Sometimes justice has a cost. Sometimes it requires sacrifice and unpleasant deeds. But the greater good justifies those tough choices.”
- “Then you make them respect you. You fight and stand strong until you’ve won.”
❤️ Swoon ❤️
There’s a lot going on in this book but the romance is certainly a big part of it. And this one is definitely swoon-worthy.
- “Am I the best flirt? No, but I don’t have to flirt. You do.”
- He liked looking at me. He liked me touching him. It turned out we had common ground after all.
- The touch of his skin sent a jolt racing through my body, every nerve waking up.
- I felt drunk, intoxicated both by what he did to me and the effect I had on him.
- “Those other girls you live with are like dolls. They look like they’ll break. But not you.”
- “I want to kiss you. And I’ll do it out here if I have to.”
- “…I wanted something simple. Instead I got you…And it turns out, that was what I needed.”
Finally, I leave you with a quote that will likely make zero sense now but one I really liked and you’ll understand after you read the book. 😉
For Balanquans, Ariniel’s star is the wayfarer’s star—the star that always brings you home, no matter how lost you are. The only thing a wanderer can count on.
Make sure to go check out all the other awesome posts from my fellow bloggers!
Okay, I know this is what y’all are here for, right? Well I’ve got a treat for you. Penguin Teen is hosting a giveaway for the entire blog tour that y’all can still enter (but hurry up)!