Hello everyone and happy Saturday! It’s that time of year for another fabulous reading challenge from Aentee at Read at Midnight! Like last year’s pokemon challenge, I have no doubt that this one is going to be a TON of fun! You get to select between 4 classes to complete your reading quest and I’ve decided to go with a Knight because, I mean, I’m the Novel Knight. It’s fitting, right?
For full details, make sure to head on over to Aentee’s blog post kicking off the challenge. I’ll also summarize below for my own benefit to keep track of everything.
All graphics were created by Aentee at Read at Midnight, and character art is courtesy of CW from Read, Think, Ponder. I do not claim ownership of any graphics used and did so only with the intent of sharing this challenge
I put together an excel spreadsheet to track points if anyone is interested! Please let me know if there’s any issues with it!
August 13th to September 10th
This challenge can work with other reading challenges and I will be combining it with #ARCAugust for the second half of the month!
You can pick between a knight, a bard, a rogue, and a mage. I’m going with Knight!
KNIGHT: These players are warriors skilled in direct combat. On their quest, they are will fight their way through the First Across path. The stages within this path are inspired by action and weaponry.
The Bingo Board
- Purple squares are for the character quests
- Blue squares are side quests
- You have to complete your character quest before moving on to other characters
- Check out the original post for info on which quest is which for each character class
- Start with 10 EXP
- Completed books +10 EXP / graphic novels & manga +5 EXP
- Completed books by marginalized authors +20 EXP
- Completed original character quest +50 EXP
- Completed additional character quest +30 EXP
- Characters level up every +50 EXP (start at Level 1)
- Start with 10 HP
- Every 10 pages = +1 HP
- every 20 pages = +1 HP for graphic novels/manga
- Meaningful tweets with #TheReadingQuest tag = +1 HP (max of +20 HP from social media)
- Photos of #TheReadingQuest books/TBR = +1 HP (max of +20 HP from social media)
So being the person that I am, I outlined the entire challenge in case I progress beyond the Knight’s quest, as well as the side quest prompts. I may or may not stick to these books depending on how the challenge goes but here they are!
Knight’s Quest (original character class)
- The first book of a series. An Alchemy of Masques and Mirrors
- also counts for Mage Class
- A book with a verb in its title. Hunting Prince Dracula
- A book with a weapon on its cover. Mask of Shadows
- A book with a red cover. The Dire King
- A book that has a TV/movie adaption. To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before
- also counts for Bard Class
Additional Character Class Quests
- A book set in a different world. The Queen of Blood (MAGE)
- A book based on mythology. Berserker (MAGE)
- A book that contains magic. The Hunt (MAGE)
- A book with a one word title. Ally (MAGE/ROGUE)
- A book published by a small press. The Crown’s Dog (ROGUE)
- A book with <500 ratings on Goodreads. Take to the Limit (ROGUE)
- A book cover with a partially obscured face. The Other Girl (ROGUE)
- A banned book. The Handmaid’s Tale (ROGUE/BARD)
- A book translated from another language. Dream a Little Dream (BARD)
- A book cover with a striking typography. Zero Repeat Forever (BARD)
- A fairy tale re-telling. Girls Made of Snow and Glass (BARD)
- POTIONS: A book concocted by 2+ authors. These Broken Stars
- MULTIPLAYER: Buddy read a book. The Magician (hopefully!)
- GRIND. A book with 500+ pages. The Gentleman’s Guide to Vice and Virtue
- TIME WARP. A book set in either the past or the future. The Equals
- OPEN WORLD. Read whatever you want. The Reluctant Queen
- RESPAWN. Read a book you previously DNF. Shiver
- EXPANSION. Read a companion novel or a short story. Desert Tales
- MINI-GAME. Read a graphic novel, novella, or poem collection. The Princess Saves Herself in This One
- ANIMAL COMPANION. Book referencing an animal in the title. Gray Wolf Island
I’ll be tracking my progress on the blog. Haven’t decided if I’ll do a weekly update or create a page here where I can add in points and all that good stuff (I did that last year with the pokemon reading challenge Aentee hosted and it worked pretty well so might try that again!
But that’s all I have for y’all today! I know, this was a pretty long post but go sign up for the challenge because it starts in a couple weeks and sounds like it’s going to be a ton of fun!